Thursday, October 8, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane.......

Last week the local weather man promised that we were officially done with triple digit temperatures. I for one took that promise very seriously. I'm grateful to say that he has kept that promise and we have enjoyed beautiful weather ever since. I feel like this was a blessing meant just for me since I have had to say goodbye to both my mom and then a few weeks later my sister, and well the least I could have was some beautiful weather to go outside and sulk in. Last week Casey and her kids flew in and stayed with us all week and it was delightful. It always takes me a few days to climb out of my "poor me" phase after visitors leave. Lately at my house we have all had our issues.......

Olivia came home from school yesterday and during dinner told me she had a really frustrating day. When I asked her why she said "well it's just that there is a lot expected of first graders mom, and I have this friend named Kristina and she is SOOOO bossy. Today she told me where to stand while we were playing a game, can you believe that?"

Oh my sweet bossy child, what you don't understand is this Kristina is obviously an answer to your mother's prayers.

I proceeded to explain to her that maybe that is how Luke feels when she won't listen to his ideas. Her eyes flew open wide and she flung her hand to her chest and dramatically sighed "oh Luke you cute face, have I ever done that to you? I'm so so sorry."

While Luke might play the victim well here, he has been struggling with his own issues...or should I say causing many of mine. I realize Luke is a boy but I just can't understand why the word "poo" is so funny and why it has to be attached to every other word. I'm so sick of hearing "ok poo mom" or "poo clothes" or "poo sister" or "poo door knob" or his personal favorite "poo a rama." My only solace is that my thirty one year old brother still thinks this word is funny too and he is an otherwise responsible and upstanding adult. I have hope.

Sophie Kate is coming out of that magical phase in life where one has no struggles and has been introduced to the world of expectations. This all started when I noticed that more often than not she looked awfully homeless. One day I decided to tame her curls and do her hair. I realize now I am about a year too late. She will have none of it and now runs down the hall pulling on her hair, I guess she figures if she doesn't have any I can't try and fix it.

I on the other hand just finished Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton and have no one with which to share my opinions. My fledgling three member book club has been M.I.A for months and due to my widening middle I have been kicked out of my running group. Will somebody please tell me they have read this or will someone just read it so I can ask you what you thought of one particular character and that ghastly ending.
That all said, here are a few pictures of simpler times....last week. Together we played, talked, listened and in the case of Audry and Sophie Kate sometimes just stared at each other.






5 comments:

Momma Stef said...

spring mountain ranch looks so relaxing...Casey loved her time with you, only wish I could have come too! Don't worry one day Luke will be out there on a mission and forget all about poo-words.

Rochelle and Kaelen said...

Yes,its a little boy thing...
and a big boy thing Kaelen laughed as he read JUST THAT PART!
What can you do....

Erica Johnston said...

I know the answer to all of your problems- after UK, move next to me. I will read with you and we have matching middles (even though I'm not prego) and so I would run with you, too! Luke would be in boy heaven with 4 masculine bowel movements a day over here. I would teel you how cute Sophie is with or without ribbins in her hair and olivia (gasp) I love you!

Callie said...

Man I have missed your blogs! you know i'm not sure it's just a boy thing my sweet little curley haired princess thinks "poo" is the best word ever. In fact we had family pictures taken recently and the only thing that made her smile was when she told the photographer that we were going to have a "poo water parade". Where do they come up with this stuff? I hope there's light at the end of that tunnel. Love ya!

Katie Lila said...

POO! hahahahaheheheheeeeeha