Saturday, October 17, 2009

The "dirt" on childhood.......


Today my disposal broke. It actually broke three days ago, but today it became a bio-hazard. The repairman said he was coming...that was two days ago. I decided to take control of the situation, I left and closed the door behind me. We decided to head up to Red Rock for the day for a little hiking and bouldering.
It might sound like I'm making this out to be a spontaneous outdoor expedition with the sole objective being fun. If I'm being honest it wasn't. I had an agenda. This was an intervention.
I've been up at nights lately worrying about my Olivia. Sometimes I worry being in school all day is stifling her. I'm afraid too much book work will start to hamper her free-spirited granola side. I can't let this happen, I'm partial to that side of her. When it comes to parenting styles I tend to error on the side of free-play. I think our society is forgetting the simplicity of childhood. I read a parenting magazine at the doctors office the other day and I got a headache. Too much information is what I say. After reading it I thought, I'm about to have my fourth child and I don't think there was one thing in there that I knew or have done with my kids. I'm not much for the rat race of kids having to achieve everything first and best. Boo on all the pressure, hooray for spending the day imagining your lost in the wilderness with no arms being chased by a giant tortilla.

To my sweet school teacher mother-in-law, don't worry, Olivia is still enrolled in school. I'm just spending every weekend rolling her in the dirt making sure she stays my girl.

7 comments:

Christy said...

Carly, Olivia will ALWAYS be your girl. You two are cut out of the same cloth...and I love that. What makes me laugh are the things Livie says and does and your unique ability to make them come alive on paper. I laughed at these posts until tears ran down my face. How I love these children!! And their parents too.

Gaylene said...

I hate those magazines and I say "Hooray" for Carly to allow her children to be children! Don't let the world get the best of you or your kids. Let them be themselves and let them have fun doing it!

TyandMar said...

My disposal just broke last week! It's the worst--I feel your pain. I also agree on letting kids be kids. I was a school teacher for 3 yrs before Harrison came along...but I was never one to push book work down their throats. Book work doesn't need to be so heavy in elementary school. Keep up the good parenting! :)

SouthernAZ WOLFINGTON said...

Carly... disposal repairman? What is it doing? I've got a little disposal repair time under my belt. Give me a call. It might be something minor.

Jess said...

I hear ya friend!

Katie Lila said...

Not me. I love pressure, I hope my kids are the absolute best at everything and will stop at nothing to get them there. :) OK, OK, I have to know, what brought on the giant tortilla? Were you eating tortillas at the time? I know I will try to tell someone about this great post tomorrow and I'll be laughing and it won't be as funny to them because it's all in your delivery dang-it. By the way I just learned how to remember how to spell witch/which. the human witch has an "itch". Yes I am 30...I also just memorized the word tomorrow, not 2 m's, but 2 r's. lots of love, lila

Hilary said...

This is why I love reading your blog!!! I could not agree more!!! Have you read "Mitten Strings to God"? It is a wonderful book on embracing motherhood and letting your kids just be kids! I really think you would like it. 2 thumbs up to dirt and kids, they are a great mix!!!