Thursday, May 21, 2009

The games we play.........


Yesterday afternoon I found myself in a quiet house, this being unusual I went to investigate and found this note on the door of Luke's closet.

I knocked, and was told "this is a secret club, and it's REALLY important you don't come in."

"Oh that's nice" I thought, "they're all playing in a cute little secret club together." I smiled as I walked off.
Forty five minutes later I walked back thinking "that is one awfully small closet for three kids to be in without a peep." This time I didn't knock and I caught them red handed....three kids, two boxes of fruit snacks completely gone. Sophie Kate had three packs in her mouth and the other two were sitting in a pile of wrappers. I guess someone had the idea to sneak snacks into the closet while I was unloading the groceries, meanwhile someone else was writing the distraction note and the last little someone dragged in the blankets.
You might be wondering, "where was these children's mother during that 45 min?"
Well, she was listening to the radio trying to win third row Taylor Swift tickets along with all the other fifteen year olds.

These three kill me with the things they play. This week we saw a funeral procession and after a brief question and answer session, Olivia had everyone dressed in their Sunday clothes ready to play funeral. This involved Olivia dressing like a bride walking around the room singing and thanking everyone for coming while the Luke and Sophie Kate threw monopoly money at her and clapped.

I'm thinking there was some miscommunication on the question "what's a funeral?"


And last but not least my personal fav "Sister Bunderson and Barry Shorts"
Sister Bunderson is the relief society pres in our ward and Brother Shultz was in the bishopric. Ben and I aren't sure how this game came about but it's a weekly staple.

This game is fairly simple........Olivia(Sis Bunderson) gives a talk, sings a hymn, reads a brief scripture, hands out assignments and then turns over the time to Luke who stands up and says "hello everyone, I'm Barry Shorts." Then they laugh and start over. I should find this weird but Casey and I played "church foyer" for years.

I pray the day never comes when they are no longer so simply entertained.
Cheers to Imagination. One of the only things in this world a child really needs to own.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Those little thiefs!!! I was dying of laughter when I read this.

Gaylene said...

I can't beleive they stole the fruit snacks--not your kids. I personally think the Sis B. and Barry Shorts story is hilarious. And how many of us would have ever considered playing "funeral"? Great minds--try and keep them young so we can laugh forever!!!!

Kimberli said...

Ha, ha, ha! Cute kids!

So... did you get the TS tickets? (if you did, all the missing fruit snacks are totally worth it)

Jess said...

Those little sneaks! Too funny! Imaginations are a wonderful thing and you are so lucky that your children play well together.

Callie said...

I love it! Everything about it. The "Secret club" (which we did when we were little). The dressing up and pretending. I love the pictures, your children are simply beautiful! Love ya!

Katie Lila said...

Ha-ha...did you win tickets? I once spent 3 days of my life trying for Brad paisley tickets from a radio station. I think it's all rigged. Maybe if you were writing about my life it would seem funnier. That's it, I'm going to make my kids play funeral.