Tuesday, May 12, 2009

CROSSING THE LINE........


I hear what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Our first summer here was a near fatality. Here we are heading into our last summer and I have yet to discover how to welcome the heat graciously. To me the summer officially started today. It was what I call the day we crossed the jeans-line. I really hate having to cross this line before June 1st but I have been left no option. This is the day I officially have to find something else that works with a grubby t-shirt. When you wear an old tee with a pair of old go-to jeans it looks like you meant to sport that look. When you are wearing an old tee with mom shorts from target your grubby shirt just screams "yes, I've been around since high school."


But really that isn't what makes the jeans line so hard to cross. I hate the fact that putting on a pair of jeans means I have exactly 20 mins before I am sweating so bad I have to re-shower. I pushed the line a little today and ran errands in my jeans, even after watching the forecast. I knew better but I wasn't ready to admit that summer was here. I came home dragging the kids through the door, peeled off my pants and stuck otter-pops down my bra. I stood under the fan...(I'm still not ready to cross the turn-on-the-AC-all-day line) and seriously coveted the dinky little sundress Sophie Kate was wearing........and despite all my Sunday preaching on modesty I was beyond tempted to wear it myself. See how dangerous this heat is? It makes a very Mormon mom think about joining the scantily clad masses in Sin City. I know it's going to get worse, I will be strong, this heat can't beat me. I will leave this town with my morals intact. And I will probably buy out every otter pop in every store.




14 comments:

TyandMar said...

Totally agree with you Carly! Nothing is better than a good pair of jeans, and I too hate when it's too hot to wear them! Good luck. :)

Redd family said...

Oh, we crossed the jean line like a month ago! I am finding myself yelling at the weatherman at night again.....I hate when he just chuckles about how it's not going to drop below 101 all week....aaaaaaaah!!!

Gaylene said...

Oh do I feel for you. I detest heat. I agree about the clothing. In the heat you can stip down to the bare nothings and still be hot. You can do it. It's almost over. But I'm sorry to say, summer is not.

Linda Doll said...

How funny to read your post today. I was just lamenting that OF COURSE this weekend when we are going to Matt's graduation in Sacramento and participating in the OUTDOOR BBQ afterwards, it is supposed to be 101 degrees! I noticed in your 10 day forcast it is ONLY supposed to be 99 degrees in Las Vegas on Saturday - what are you doing complaining??!! Just kidding - the heat just saps your strength doesn't it? I remember being a BIG fan of otterpops myself back in our student days at BYU with no air conditioning in our rental apartment. I think I also remember staying submerged in the inflatable pool my kids played in for as much of the day as possible! I'm sure the heat this weekend will be much harder on Casey, however!

A.J said...

Ohhhhh I would die of heat there!If it's possile I am dying of coldness.

Heather Anna said...

I am in for floating the river! Oh yeah, although I have to admit, I'm a little nervous. I'm getting old.

I bought Margaret that exact swimsuit that Olivia is wearing. How funny!

Sorry for the heat. Just take the plunge and turn on the A/C. You'll be happier.

I don't know what you're talking about not being able to write your story . . .everything you write is fabulous and heartwarming and funny. Why haven't you submitted anything to Segullah? Get on it girl! You're a writer!

Elizabeth said...

Oh I am sooooo sorry you have to go through another summer in Vegas! I remember those days too well. I HATED SUMMER IN VEGAS!!! By body does not react well to extreme heat. I sweat like a pig and turn bright red. Like I've said before, you are welcome to move to Albuquerque, where we have mild weather all year long.

Callie said...

It got up to 83 here the other day and I was fighting the A/C being turned on. What a Wuss I am! Thanks for the unintended otter pop tip, I will have to try that out this summer. When our temp finally hits 99 I will think of you. Good luck girlie, you're a trooper strip down and enjoy your last summer there! :o)

Jess said...

Totally loved the "otterpop down the bra".... I just might have to take that advice come mid-July.

Jess said...

By the way, I am sure that you have heard already, but Jackson Hammond passed away on Sunday. I know that he was your neighbor growing up.... Micah was my best friend in JH and HS. Just in case you haven't heard I thought I would pass that bit of info on. The funeral was today. SAD.

Jess said...

Oh Carly.... you KNOW I was never REALLY mad at you, right?! I love you guys and just can't wait to see you all again.

JWB said...

we need to get together again.


Kamie

Heather Coon said...

I scrapped the jeans long ago, I just can't hack it. Waaayyy to hot! Come on Carly show off them sexy legs you know you got! ...Otter pops though, that's a good one I'll have to try it...

Katie Lila said...

Dang you! I don't want to wake T up but the otter pops in the bra put me over the edge and I had to leave so i could LOL. Remind me not to read this in the middle of the night. How do you do it, capture life so perfectly? If I was a blog I would be this one, if I was a Mom I would be like you...oh wait, i'll have to work on that.