Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Call me Anne.....

Do you ever feel like you were born in the wrong time period? About a week ago my friend Amelia heaved her complete Anne of Green Gables box set into my arms with the following instructions..."I don't care how many times you have read these, this is a gift you must re-give yourself every 5 years." I've always been fond of giving myself gifts so I accepted.
By what twist of fate was I born in 1980 when I am so clearly meant to be running through the fields of Prince Edward Island in 1908 ...the wind blowing through my hair of which it is socially acceptable to wash only every few weeks.

I had forgotten how beautifully written these books are, Anne's thoughts are like poetry. I'm a sucker for a kindred spirit who loves a good romp in the woods. Her views of the outside world make me either sigh or shout out loud "yes, yes me too."

After a few stares at the park I have taken to just marking the page when a particular paragraph moves me, it's safer that way...people tend to be mistrusting of a girl with a book passionately talking to herself....especially when she is obviously the caregiver of three small children.

Call it a form of escapism but I think there comes a time in the day that every mom needs to gaze past her peanut butter and dirt covered children and imagine herself freely running through a green field covered in wildflowers. (sigh)

8 comments:

Rochelle and Kaelen said...

Yes I agree, a channel up here plays Road to Avonlea and I've got sucked in everyday at 3pm... Emma even sit and watches it with me... Go P.E.I.!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how I look forward to the glimpse of Carly's mind every time I check your blog. I love reading your thoughts and it always gives me something to think or smile about. I heard you are in town and I want to see you. I don't think I will be able to make it Friday. I will try and make it work.

Gaylene said...

Kudos to LMM for Anne of Green Gables, I love to scape in her books as well.

Natty said...

Ahh, Gilbert Blythe was my first crush. I also thought Matthew was cute... I have a thing with older men.

Unknown said...

the name Gilbert Blythe conjures many forgotten feelings... yum

Jess said...

I have NEVER read these books... I guess I better get the box set. I too could use a good "sigh...."

melissa said...

I have never read the Ann of green gables books, but I have had a lot of people ask me if I named Avenley after Ann of Avonlea, which I didn't. Maybe I should give them a read sometime.

Heather Coon said...

Ok just one more comment! This was on tv not to long ago as a marathon and I watched the whole series for like two days straight...and I too feel like I should have been born in another era when life was simple and you sat on your porch swing drinking lemonade just enjoying life.