Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pop Quiz.....

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person.
At least I used to...until I had kids.

Does this ever happen to you?

My children wake up first thing in the morning and start with the questions. It's usually the basics, you know the ones I can answer with my eyes closed while pouring cereal. By afternoon they've turned up the heat and the abstract "what ifs" and "whys" start coming out. One by one I'm sure the questions aren't that hard, maybe they require a little thought......but fired off like a shot gun I surrender. It's like being on a quiz show, you start second guessing every answer you think is right, anyone would break under that kind of pressure.

A simple "I don't know" doesn't work in this house. Some brilliant mom taught her first born to "just give it your best guess" whenever she didn't know the answer to something. you know, to help her develop cognitive thinking skills....this idea is now biting this brilliant mom in the backside.

Sure sometimes I pretend I didn't hear them, distract them with a snack. But then the voice inside me says "come on this is your job, it's like your running from your boss." The guilt is especially thick when it's a gospel question...I mean that's kind of a big part of the mommy contract. This is when the questions get intense, so what if I'm not right about how they make strawberry shortcake's hair smell like strawberries but I need good solid info when it comes to the eternal. It's natural to rattle off Sunday school answers, it really tests your knowledge when you have to describe a principal in 3-6 year old terms.

I thought I was doing a pretty good job, firing off answers from both sides, praying they didn't ask me to elaborate. Last night at dinner I had to laugh, they sense my weakness.

Olivia: "Mom who lived in Las Vegas when Jesus was on the earth?"
Me:(oh good, an easy one) "well Olivia IF anyone lived here it was most likely either the Nephites or the Lamanites"
Olivia: " that's a good answer mom"
Me:(taken back, this almost never happens) "why thank you"
Olivia: "well I mean good guess, because let's be honest, that's what it really was."
Me: "actually I'm pretty sure that is the right answer"
Luke:"Mommy your cocky"
Me:"Luke, do you even know what cocky means?"
Luke:" NO"
Me:"well that is ridiculously impeccable timing my dear"

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You crack me up. I miss you and your humor!

Gaylene said...

Too funny! Sounds like our house some days. Ashlynne is still into Why, Why, Why? Austin is becoming quite a bit like Olivia.

Callie said...

I love that you put a smile on my face everytime you blog. =) I always have the fear that I don't really have the right answer when it comes to the gospel. I just figure I will learn along with them at this point.

Rachael said...

So I have decided I want to come live with you because your entire family is just too funny and I would laugh every day! I love it! I am always amazed at how smart little olivia is.

A.J said...

For a five year old(five right?)Olivia is so smart.Hey and thanks for looking at my blog!

Unknown said...

We have several pop quizes at our house as well. So far, Lane is the only one doing the questioning. I laughed, and related, to the whole distracting with a snack and ignoring tactic. As a first time mom I felt really strongly about answering every question as I would any reasonable adult. And here I am explaining how water turns to ice..."it just gets cold" doesn't work.
We did slurp our blog and I absolutely love the book! I would really recommend it, what a great way to keep a family journal! Having said that, I was not the one who actually did the slurping. Chris did. I've heard it is pretty strait forward, but I am not always very patient with these types of things. So far I think it is the best way to go if you want to make a book, for sure.

Julie said...

Your kids are awesome! I wish we lived closer to you guys...too cute! And to answer your question, Yes, I get drilled on a daily basis and I always get "no mom, you're wrong!" or "Are you lying to me?" hmmm