Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Did I say that.....

Last Sunday I shot my mouth off and now I'm paying the price. I casually mentioned, after eating a bowl of brownies and ice cream the size of my head, that I could go a whole month without wanting sugar again. That's all Ben needed..."okay, done" he said. "one month, your on." (he gets great delight out of bets he knows he'll win)

Past experience has proven I didn't stand a chance. A few years ago Ben decided to go off sweets for a whole year. He's one of those people that says it and does it, no questions asked. I seem to lack this internal determination. I told him I would do it too, six hours later my Dad brought down some red vines and I declared "I'm out."

One month, that's not so bad.
By Monday I was in tears.

Ben agreed to change the bet to letting me have treats on Sunday. So now I had to go just a week at a time. The days dragged on, I started rationalizing. I need that 2:00 sugar rush, I can't mother without it.....well at least not good mothering. I didn't realize how often I was grabbing a little pick-me-up during the day until I spent Tuesday wandering aimlessly around the kitchen. And if anyone tries to tell you differently...fruit doesn't cut it, neither do stale raisins. The teddy grahams stared at me, the fruit snacks mocked me....even the old box of pudding in the back of the cupboard started looking like creme' brulee.

It's going to be a long week, I'm trying to figure out how to convince my Young Women that we should bring carrot sticks and crackers to the combined activity tonight instead of the doughnuts they all wanted. The doughnuts that I have to pick up, and drive in the car with, and smell....if you see me in the church parking lot tonight sitting in my car with tears in my eyes, drive on. This is a fight I must fight alone, and the prize.....not having to see Benjamin's smug "I told you so" face.

14 comments:

FarrEver Family said...

I LOVE it when you post, I just can't wait to see what comes out of your mouth, or what is not going in it! Good Luck with this, I am a total sugar snacker too.
PS Beautiful pics! I hope you didn't pay for them, not because they aren't great, but because If you had flown me there i would have done it for FREE! (not to say they would have been great or better...but still I would have got to see you) MAybe someday I will get to be around you, maybe even, I don't know..get to meet Sophie. Ahh, what a nice day that will be!
Miss you Carly!

thebarrusfamily said...

I love that there is someone else in this world that isn't my sister who has the same "sugar" issues as me. But... I'm not trying to not eat sugar right now so I'm off to eat a huge bowl of Ice Cream Sunday. mwa ah ah

Jami said...

Carly- So we are off to Vegas tomorrow. Do you have any good suggestions for things for us to do?

Jami said...

haha. So I should just get your email or phone number--I'll do that tomorrow (too late tonight). Anyway, I was wondering what a good long run would be? Do you want to go with me??? :) Layne suggested the loop road at red rocks. It looks like it's about 15 miles or so.

Gaylene said...

Good luck!!!
I say that with a lot of hope. I webt off soda for 6 months and then...I had one and thought "I'll be fine with just one." It didn't work. Pretty soon I had two, then three... you know the rest of the story.
Truly good luck. Sweets are one thing I could definitely do without!

Gaylene said...

P.S.
I love, love, love your new pictures and quotes.

cragun family said...

You know, that 'I told you so' face goes away quicker than you think:). j/k. You can do it. I hear ya girl. I need to make that bet, I have a weight loss competition going on right now with the hubby, and I should probably set baby steps like no sugar. Or I am doomed to look at the 'I told you so' face, way to soon!

Rachael said...

What were you thinking saying that? You NEVER go without sugar...that is really bad for you and that is coming from a dietitian. But now I guess you gotta prove yourself so I have faith in you...you can do it, although I will admit right now I never could!

Jess said...

I LOVE YOUR NEW PICTURES!!! Did you just get those done??? They are ALL adorable. What a cute family.

You can do the sweet thing.... it has almost been 8 whole weeks of NO DR. PEPPER for me. I it gets easier by the day. You can do it!

melissa said...

Good luck Carly! I wouldn't last a day. I love your pictures, your kids are so cute!

Unknown said...

who took your pics? they are great!

Heather Coon said...

YOu know I was thinking about this the other day...just wondering if I could do it. I was like sure...but then I saw the banana's there (after I make banana bread), then I saw the ice cream in the freezer, the cookies in the pantry... All this stuff needs to be eaten and who's going to eat it? That person must be me! That's why you go running right?

Kati said...

Somthing I probably should do but it just doesn't seem like much fun you know? Good Luck, you are a very brave woman.

P.S. LOVE the family pictures!

Elizabeth said...

Love the new family pictures! Good luck with the no sugar diet! I could never do it.