January is like the Monday of the year.....kind of depressing, leaving you longing for the weekend of fun that was December. This isn't my first January, so I decided to plan ahead this year. I knew it would be hard but I just dove in head first. I pepped talked myself up and headed to Walmart, armed with that dreaded two week meal plan list......you know the list that just screams up at you.."that's right sister the holidays are over, so just gear up for cart full of sensible meals." Sensible......if ever there was a word to describe January it would be sensible. January and I were destined to never hit it off.
But I conquered the store only to discover the monster that sat waiting in ambush around the corner.......the start of school.
I detest taking my kids back to school. I hate it. and I'm not even supposed to use that word in the house. but I'm using it. I hate it.
I miss them, all day. All week. But I do it, because it's Sensible. But I hate it because I'm not.
I decided this year that I would be a better mother, I've kind of been faking it for years. I happen to HAVE one of those good mothers so I know it can be done. I decided I would buckle down and start accomplishing more during the day. I see others doing this, I see their kids excelling in school and multiple activities. They are productive and patient. It baffles me.......I don't know how. I'm in over my head, and I'm talking with just keeping them alive. Seriously, I have like five min between picking them up from school and bedtime. I feel like I'm running in a foot race, just trying to keep up with the pack, all the while waiting for someone to look down and notice that I'm on a bike...and call me out on it. I want to stop someone and ask them how they are doing this mothering thing but I'm afraid they would laugh.
This is a real fear, this actually happened to me in real life. I was in the bike leg of a triathlon and I hit a bump and lost my water bottle off the trail. I turned to someone coming up behind me.....you know a fellow comrade in the race....and I said "uh I just lost my water" and he said "pfff" and laughed and then mumbled something under his breath about being an idiot and rode off. I cried. It was very lonely.
So I made my list of all my new sensible resolutions.....
and then I put a trampoline in my living room.
So much for getting anything done.
So I made a new list.
I just couldn't do it.
I am a lover of simplicity,
and well.....fun.
And I just had to look in the mirror and own it.
I figure you get through the race any way you can.
I have never been a fast runner anyway.
New list.....
1. read the Book of Mormon, every day.
yeah that should do it.
everything else will work itself out.
plus....plenty of trampoline time.
If I only get five min, I'm going to enjoy "them."
and by "them" I mean them.
Them's don't seem to care that I don't have a clue what I'm doing.
Them's wonderful that way.






9 comments:
Perfect--my thoughts exactly!
I wouldn't laugh...I would say "I was going to ask YOU the same thing!" Sure, meal plans and school and cleaning are sensible things that NEED to be done but SO DO trampolines in front rooms and scooters in the house! As well as cuddle time on the couch and pajama days and 2 things on the to-do list and eating waffles for dinner and going hiking and playing in the dirt...ect....ect...ect. Those are in a way very sensible as well, sensible for sanity and fun.
Your resolution is a good one and a challenging one. don't underestimate it. I have NEVER truly succeeded at that resolution so maybe i'll jump on it with ya....can I be about 10 days late and still count it?
People who mumble rude things during triathlons shouldn't be allowed to do them. It is morally wrong for those kind of people to do kind of awesome things.
and that's why your my sister. your wonderful. yes you may be 10 days late, that's perfectly acceptable. touche' on the last comment, morally wrong indeed...that made me laugh. I say people shouldn't be allowed to mumble rude things in general. I guess I'm ok with them mumbling compliments...no I take it back I would rather have them shout them.
This is so perfect because I read something recently about how to make your mornings successful. It was something about packing lunches the night before (including a healthy lunch for yourself) and having the house looking perfect and not letting your husband out the door before you are showered and ready. I've been feeling bad about myself ever since! Well, I guess not totally. I wallowed and then decided that those people must not be very fun. That is what I told myself! So what if we stay in pj's all day sometimes especially because usually there is NO WAY I can be showered and ready before my husband walks out the door. ha!I guess those perfect people exist somewhere. Plus, you have four! I am feeling overwhelmed with three kids, so you are doing great, if you feel enough energy to do a triathlon.
I say it is a success if you like your kids and don't want them to go back to school! I feel the same way, btw. I contemplate home schooling all of the time! Anyway, the trampoline was brilliant. I love it!
if you love me ( and you said we are your favortie :) then show me and you MUST MUST MUST move next door (or within that proximity) PLEASE!!!! You are absolutely positively my favorite too.
I'm still loving the trampoline in the house thing. Love it. I totally agree with you on January. Sensible. Ugh. The only thing that has kept me going this year is that my pregnancy is ending soon. Something exciting to look forward to!
PS--great resolution. It needs to be on the list every year for me.
Love the trampoline, it looks like fun! The good thing about January is that it is followed by February which is fun and fast. Only 20 days to go!
Love your blog, love this post!! And the trampoline thing...awesome!!
Post a Comment