Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Sky's The Limit.......

When I was in High school I took an art class where I discovered watercolor. I pretty much failed at every other medium in that class but watercolor. I loved watercolor. I became really good at painting skies....stormy skies, sunsets, blue skies, skies with a hint of rain...you name it, I could paint it. The problem was I could never paint anything under the sky. I mean nothing, I was absolutely terrible at everything but skies. My art teacher didn't think it was very cute when I kept handing in half sheets of paper cut off under the sky. I told him I would do a full page if he promised to only grade the top half....he wasn't amused. I'm starting to feel his pain.
I'm writing a book. I have a fantastic first line and a pretty decent first paragraph......and that's it. Ok I'll I be honest, I am writing five books and I have five fantastic first lines and five pretty decent first paragraphs.....AND THAT'S IT. It's like a creepy flashback to High school, I can't get past the sky. I've submitted what I have to my writing group and the feedback said "let's see some more." And once again I'm that awkward girl in high school standing in front of the art teacher with a half sheet of paper and a pair of scissors in hand explaining..."oh, um yeah...that's all there is,sorry."
Inspiration when you get a moment, I'll be waiting at this brick wall.
This past weekend I bagged the whole thing and just decided to accomplish completing a whole Thanksgiving dinner. It was surprisingly cathartic. The food was wonderful, the weather was stormy and the friends were dear. Very dear. They traveled up from a far away land in a different residency program and left us missing them the moment they left. I still miss them.

Today it is raining. I love rain. It's comforting and inspiring. So much so that I think I'm going to dig out the kid's old watercolors and paint the dang grass if it kills me.....I could be here awhile.






2 comments:

CaseyLee said...

Amy must have come into town....look at the decor and place settings! (I mean I'm not saying it isn't something you wouldn't have done on your own, it just looks very coordinating and creative.....just kind of like things I have seen that you told me she did.....oh boy I think I am digging a hole :) But, hey, could be wrong, maybe that was all your doing! Either way, looks great and whatever was on those darling plates I'm sure was delicious. I'm sure you guys had a great time, from experience we know that Thanksgiving with you guys ends up being a favorite of all times.

SouthernAZ WOLFINGTON said...

sooooo, where... are all the pictures of the Bauerle Fam!? I'm starting to forget what Jared looks like. More pictures! :-)
We were thinking about flying out and surprising ya'll. Granted, the thought was brief... but a thought none-the-less.