Last night I went for my "acceptance" run. I usually need one good long run when I move into a new place to take inventory of my surroundings and come to terms with my new home. This run can be emotional and sometimes involves talking to myself. Since no one knows me, I don't really care. Last night my thoughts about Kentucky were all over the page.........
Acceptance run feelings:
-LONELY.........my unanswered request for a running partner last sunday at church left me feeling "junior-highishly" awkward
-BEAUTIFUL........rolling green hills, tree lined roads and a cobblestone wall, are you kidding me, I was so overcome I did a leap.....which produced a serious leg cramp, which produced a laugh that someone might have seen it, which produced a memory of Casey and I trying to do the best "get the attention of passing by motorists by doing the best move while still running", which produced a tear for a sister that is many miles away.
-REFRESHING..........after years of running in Vegas and staring at the asphalt it felt good to finally look up and have some scenery to enjoy, not to mention cool night air blowing in my face.
-BUGS.........check that, eyes back down at asphalt, after a few minutes of looking around enjoying the view I had a eye and mouthful of bugs slamming me in the face.
When I left I thought to myself "I hope I can find the way back to my house" and when I turned the last corner and saw it I thought "oh good I'm almost home." And there you have it, that my friends is acceptance.
Acceptance run feelings:
-LONELY.........my unanswered request for a running partner last sunday at church left me feeling "junior-highishly" awkward
-BEAUTIFUL........rolling green hills, tree lined roads and a cobblestone wall, are you kidding me, I was so overcome I did a leap.....which produced a serious leg cramp, which produced a laugh that someone might have seen it, which produced a memory of Casey and I trying to do the best "get the attention of passing by motorists by doing the best move while still running", which produced a tear for a sister that is many miles away.
-REFRESHING..........after years of running in Vegas and staring at the asphalt it felt good to finally look up and have some scenery to enjoy, not to mention cool night air blowing in my face.
-BUGS.........check that, eyes back down at asphalt, after a few minutes of looking around enjoying the view I had a eye and mouthful of bugs slamming me in the face.
When I left I thought to myself "I hope I can find the way back to my house" and when I turned the last corner and saw it I thought "oh good I'm almost home." And there you have it, that my friends is acceptance.
4 comments:
Look at that... I guess you can call anywhere your family is... HOME. Good for you. I would much rather have rolling hills and some beautiful scenery to enjoy than that awful heat and nasty billboards any day of the week!
Carly, you're killing us. Where are the pictures of the new house already?! We want to see the new Syndergaard house!
BTW, I did tell Liz to call you. She's been busy with massage, but that's no excuse.
Were glad you guys are getting settled in.
Although I have never been to Kentucky, I can honestly say I would much prefer Kentucky over Las Vegas anyday. It's green! I am truly not a lover of Vegas. I am a person who would just as soon drive through and forget that it is there! Maybe, just maybe, when we pick up mom next year we will take the long way home and drop by and see you! Have a great time. You will make the best of it indeed!
I'd run with you anytime girl. . . how about you start in Kentucky and I'll start in Washington and we'll meet somewhere in the middle!
Post a Comment