Since then life has forced me to eat my words with one stinkin' giant spoon. Often. I now grovel at their feet begging them to raise my children for me. It's obvious, I'm in over my head. I'm the one I would snotty comment about. Life's little justices. Humility. Having your own children will do that to you. In a lot of ways it's good. It's made me kinder. I realize now there is no room for judgement in mothering. Nobody is given the same child. Nobody is given the same lessons to be learned. My hat is off to any mother trying her best. Truly.
So what I'm about to say I don't say lightly.
Personally I don't believe parents should be allowed to say this unless they have
A. more than one child
B. more than one child pass through the age they are referring to
C. have above said children be particularly difficult
Basically unless you have seen the other side you really can't make the claim I'm about to. Opposition my friends is necessary. By opposition I mean of your own personal experiences, this doesn't work comparing your experience to someone else's. Whether you think you're better, or you're worse....you're wrong. Mothering is not a one-size-fits-all kind of sport. Your experience is the only thing you really KNOW for sure.
So basically that is my claim for why I can say the following. I can back it up.
I have an easy child.
Sophie Kate you are an angel. You are kind and sweet and EASY. You get along with every creature that walks on this green earth. You my dear are practically perfect in every way.
When I am with you I can go about my day without a missed beat. When I take you places I never have to think twice about how you will behave and if you will hurt any one's feelings. You sing sweet songs to me and when I tell you it is time for your nap you kiss me on my cheek and put yourself to bed. You play everyone else's games their way, you never have to be in charge. You share. You walk quietly down the stairs at night and whisper in my ear that you have to use the bathroom, despite the fact the other ones still yell from their beds if they need me.
You are my refreshing elective course in a semester full of crushing masters classes. Oh how I needed you. Third times the charm. Happy Birthday my sweet girl.




7 comments:
Wow...I cannot believe she is four already! They sure do grow up fast. I love reading your posts, I wish I could write the way you do. You describe everything so creatively. Your awesome. Tell sweet Sophie Kate happy birthday!
BTW...this is Kari! :)
Sophie is as sweet as she looks... and I must say every mom deserves one. Some kids get sweeter with age...so don't give up on them, hopefully they all turn out sweet just like mine did.
Hooray for easy kids! Sophie sounds like your dessert after eating your vegetables (and by vegetables, I know you know who I mean...rhymes with Bolivia...) Like flowers from Heavenly Father as a big "Thank you for taking on Bolivia" :-) How is your big spirited firstborn doing by the way? AJ has gotten much easier as he's aged. He's still AJ, and I hear stories from his primary teacher all the time, but he's way easier now than when he was 3 and 4. By the way, I can't believe Sophie Kate is FOUR!!! She was just a baby five minutes ago! Love you guys XOXO
Can I get your mailing address so I can send you a Christmas letter? xoxo
Oh, and maybe send it to my email or a facebook message or something. Thanks!
Hey, I think we need to talk. :)
OH my I love your Sophie Kate. I could eat her up. And I, not so ecretly, wish I had two or three of her.
Post a Comment