Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Birthday Boy.........


I have no pictures of you alone. Not one. You are always holding a kid. The best I could come up with is you with a kid's bike. It kind of sums you up. They are your whole world. I love that you love them so fiercely. Also, you hate attention. How did you and I ever find each other?
You don't like a lot of fanfare on your birthday. I like fanfare three months before and three months after mine. You don't like a lot of fanfare in general. Remember that time I told your mother something like how good you were in your residency and you did not appreciate that. And I said "for heavens sake it's your own mother."
And remember how one time I told you that I wouldn't mind if you wanted to tell the mailman good things about me.
You genuinely care about others more than yourself. I genuinely try to. You quietly acknowledge the Source of your accomplishments. You don't seem to need the accolades of men. You are rare indeed in a world that doesn't celebrate humility.
Somewhere a few miles down the road you are knee deep in grand rounds and probably hating every minute of this when you read it. But you know me, I'm a tad self-serving so I don't care. Happy Birthday to you Benjamin. You were born for good.

5 comments:

TyandMar said...

Sounds like you married "the one!" ;) wish you lived closer! Our hubbies would be great friends, I just know it!

Joe said...

You should have uploaded the picture from Travis's cell phone at the restaurant. I heard it's pretty good. I want to see it:)

Kimberli said...

What a nice post! Happy Birthday to Benj! He IS a great guy... and I think he has a great wife too.

Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas season!

SouthernAZ WOLFINGTON said...

Happy birthday to Dr. Ben.

P.s. I just watched the secretariat the other day on TV. I totally recognized Kentucky and it's rolling hills and green grass. Go Big Red!

Beth said...

I agree with Melanie, you should post the restaurant pic I sent you. Ben would appreciate it! Happy birthday Ben!