Wednesday, September 14, 2011

To every thing there is a season........


My fingers smell like basil. Which in case you're wondering kind of ruins the taste of chocolate chips.

Since I'm pretty sure I'm the only mother left in the world that doesn't believe in preschool Sophie Kate, Grace and I are home a lot sticking it to the man. I try to keep it educational.


Ok, no I don't. I honestly don't care. Because they are 3 and 1, and I'm ok with them just being 3 and 1. I did same thing with the first two and somehow miraculously they grew up and became 5 and headed out to kindergarten. Where they learned, what they were supposed to, at 5. They became independent, they met friends, I was no longer their whole world. Which is good, it's a natural part of life. But I'm glad I was for a time.

Heavens this world is in fast forward. Suddenly it's not ok just to be a third grader reading like a third grader. When did this happen? Why can't our kids just get to be kids? Why do they have to be more than they should be? Since when do they have to have their whole lives planned out by the age of 2. I know one day Olivia is going to grow up and go to college but she doesn't have to be ready to go there now. And I don't want her there any earlier than 18, because once adult life starts it starts. You don't ever get to go back. You can always get older but you can't always be 8. Childhood is a magical gift, honestly what's the rush?

I think Pollyanna said it best after finding out her schedule from her aunt "but if I'm busy doing all that stuff, when do I have time to just live?'
Amen Pollyanna.
There are so many childhood moments that the earth is just waiting for us to come outside and live. Life only gives us so much time to just lay in the grass and watch a bug.

My life is so much more complicated than it was when I was a kid. Which is how it should be, I'm an adult, there are things I have to do and trials in life I have to go through. It just comes with age, but so does a sort of wisdom to handle all that. I'm glad I got to be 6 once, because it wasn't complicated. And life moves fast, and you never get that time back. Honestly what's the rush?
Today we wandered out to the garden to take inventory after the long storm. I have basil and tomatoes coming out my ears. I'm pretty much drowning in bruchetta.......which is a delicious way to drown. I also noticed the above beauty that has taken over my garden.....my moonvine. A gift from a dear friend to encourage romance in my life. That's a nice thought huh.

Romance.
Growing up and becoming an adult does have it's perks.

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Carly,
I hope my comment doesn't freak you out and make you put your blog private! i found your blog from the Davis high reunion blog years ago and added it to my reader because I enjoyed your writing so much. I graduated the same year as you. I was friends with Kelly Ross, Marianne Oldham, Heather Barlow, and others. I'm sure you probably don't remember me... I was quiet and not very out going.

You are such a talented writer. I enjoy your insight on life so much. I agree with you much of the time and wish I could present myself in such an entertaining manner! Your kids are beautiful and they are lucky to have such a dedicated mother!

Take care,
Bethany Skelton (Ribble way back when)

Redd family said...

Well now I want to pull Ella out of preschool, although I know that's not what you mean :) I love the song Let Them Be Little - and have to remind myself OFTEN to enjoy this time, crazy as it may seem! I think we'll take a walk today and look at bugs. :)

Ben & Carly said...

Bethany I do remember you and that comment was one of the kindest things anyone has said to me. thank you for that. I tried to click on your link to tell you that but it wouldn't let me so hopefully you see this now. sometimes I lack so much confidence in my ability to be a mother. kind words and encouragement from someone going through the same thing really matter. so thank you.

Sarah you're right I didn't mean it that way. sometimes I need to think before I speak (or write) and be careful what I'm saying on my little soapbox. Every knows what's best for their family....and I will tell you what I KNOW, you're an amazing mother. I would love to be your kid. is that weird?

Kimberli said...

Ummm... I'm a "non-believer" in early preschool too. And it is the norm here as well. For some reason, I didn't think it would be... *sigh*

And I'd love some of those tomatoes and basil... DELICIOUS!!! I've had pretty good luck with the basil but only grew three tomatoes the size of quarters. And basil "just plain" isn't that good.

cragun family said...

Thank you for the refocus and reminder of what it means to be a kid! Your kids, are blessed to have you as their mom, even if you are bossy boots sometimes! ;)

Ben & Carly said...

Kimberli that doesn't suprise me...you and I see eye to eye on many things! sending bigger tomato vibes your way.
Amy why don't you live next door to me so you can validate and make me feel good all the time. and we could practice trying to balance on our hands(remember that?) actually if you lived next door to me you would see all the rotten things I do. the beauty of the internet!

LemmonWheel said...

Well said Carly. Glad there's people still here like you. Amen sister.