Monday, July 12, 2010

First Dates......

When you move to a new place where you don't know anyone and your a stay-at-home mom, the first invite to a play group is a pretty big deal. Kind of like being the new kid in a school cafeteria but more like being on a group date on the Bachelor. You have to play your cards right, you want to stand out so you get invited to the next "date" but not so much that you're overbearing.....it's a very delicate balance. My particular problem is when I get nervous I tend to get louder and talk more. I tend to say terribly interesting things like "so how about that humidity huh" or "the roads here are really narrow" or "what's the deal with uncomfortable nursing bras" (oh crap, did I just say nursing bra on the first date).
It's hard enough to pull off just keeping myself in line, then I have to add in the wild card....my children's behavior. This is something no bachelorette ever has to deal with. You want to be the type of mom who has the fun yet well behaved, obedient kids. The type of kids that other kids want to play with and moms want their kids to play with. The kids can make or break you. I happened to be invited to a playgroup made up almost entirely of little girls, and I happen to be the parent of little boy who finds great delight in throwing "fireballs" and chasing after little girls to scare them with bugs until they scream.........I also happen to be the only parent in the group to find him absolutely adorable while doing this.
As we walked home from the play date I turned to Luke and said "listen kid, I think you may have just cost me the final rose." He just smiled....... and handed me a bug.


9 comments:

CaseyLee said...

I would think he would be your Ace in the hole. :)


A playgroup with Luke is a playgroup with a little excitement and who doesn't want a little of that if their lives?

Gaylene said...

I agree with Casey--plus, giving those Southerners a little excitement may be just what they need! Besides, he is just so dang cute, who could resist him.

Amy said...

You are funny, I like to read your blog. Jared

Rochelle and Kaelen said...

Happy late birthday cuz :>
Love ya!

Eh said...

A girl could wish that you had moved to Viriginia...

s day @ sdayrunning.blogspot.com said...

I can write up a referral for you if you'd like. Or you can just come to my play group - open invitation. And we don't hand those out often... but for you - I'd love to be chased by that darling little boy.

SouthernAZ WOLFINGTON said...

Luke, you're awesome. I miss your cute little 5 yr old "accent".
Car, I'm sure you made a great impression. It's what you do.
Liz

CaseyLee said...

Liz is right on.... first impressions are your thing!

Jess said...

Go Luke! Next time take a bucket full of worms. My girls LOVE worms.