Thursday, August 27, 2009

One of these things is not like the other.......

Ben took Olivia and Luke on a Sea bass fishing trip, Luke had a blast...Olivia wanted to know why anyone gets up at 4:30 in the morning to go fishing. They had a great time and the fish was delicious. I really don't have anything more to say about it. I tend to eat a lot of pudding when I'm pregnant....it's kind of my drug of choice, anyway I think it's doing something to my mind....it feels kind of puddingish, rather slow.
So the rest of this post has nothing to do with the pictures. Just some thoughts courtesy of my firstborn. She started first grade this week. It kind of made me feel like kindergarten was cake, separate entrance, secluded playground....dropping her off with the masses, and I'm talking fourth and fifth graders, just about killed me. She's awfully little to be thrown into the world like that. She doesn't seem to see it that way, she's pretty sure she has got it all figured out.
I guess in some ways she does, this know-it-all-attitude drives me crazy sometimes, and sometimes it just puts me in awe. She's a strong spirit. I admire it, I want to protect it and sometimes I just want to humble it. I get so frustrated, I want to shout "please just let me teach you, I know what I'm talking about"
Then she stands up EVERY Monday night, without reminder...without being given a topic, complete with handouts and gives us a family home evening lesson that quiets me. And teaches me. And gently reminds me that Someone else knows more than I do and probably wants to say "please just let me teach you, I know what I'm talking about."
While 90% of these lessons are pure testimony and sweet child-like understanding of the gospel....every once in awhile she uses the platform for an ulterior motive. Case in point, this past Monday night.
Her lesson was on baptism and after going over the logistics of what is needed for a proper baptism, and getting Ben to admit that people all over the world get baptized in all different kinds of places, not just the church. She says "OK so we know that all you need to get baptized is water and someone who holds the priesthood right? so let's say that some little girl wanted to get baptized in say a creek and her Dad said no, you have to get baptized in the church....but she went to the bishop and asked him and he said she could get baptized in a creek....who would be right, the Bishop or the Dad?
Oh Dear. I just laughed, looked at Ben and said "this one's all yours."
Here are some more pictures of my three cute kids, I'm glad they're mine. This stubborn spirit of mine surely needs them.









5 comments:

SouthernAZ WOLFINGTON said...

Sea bass fishing? What the heck? Where the heck? This is like me taking my kids golfing just for the fun of it. I'm really confused. :-)

Sarah said...

I am amazed at how smart that little Olivia is. She is a thinker. Watch out when she turns 8.

Oh, and you and your 10 year old makeup is so hilarious. I love it. Matt and I had a good laugh.

CaseyLee said...

I admire her strong spirit too! I have always been endeared that little girl and I think her spunk is probably why :)

I loved the picture of Luke holding that fish...you can tell he didn't mind getting up that early for that kind of fun at all.

Great thoughts on how our kids can teach us and on our relationship with our own "Father".


Casey

spudette said...

That is such a cute story! Ha!

Anonymous said...

How fun! Sea bass fishing! So where are you guys gonna end up?