Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Playing Dirty With My Mom and Sis......

I once told Ben that I would be perfectly happy living out of my backpack and bathing in streams for the rest of my life....he didn't find this as charming as I thought he would.


This past week we left him home to shower and go to school and we headed out camping. With only my little man to protect us we spent a girls week in a little desert oasis full of palm trees, green vegetation and a warm 85 degree river flowing through it.

Making the whole week sweeter was spending it with three of my favorite girls from the north who also don't mind playing dirty. Cheers to you my fellow fleece clad, greasy hair, occasionally bra-less women of the wild. Thank you for bathing in streams, wrangling children and staying up late(!) around the campfire with me. Thank you for pretending to be scared of the creepy man in the white truck who had the audacity to wave at us, thank you for laughing with me. Everytime I'm with you I like you more.

It was nice to come home to Ben, we all really missed him. He seemed to really miss us too. He smiled, hugged us.......and he waited a whole half hour before pointing me towards the shower and handing me the shampoo.

What a cool grandma
















12 comments:

Callie said...

HOW FUN!!! I'm so super jealous, camping in the middle of winter! You have the best Mom in the world, what I wouldn't give. It's so beautiful where you camped. We need to get together this summer here, there, or in between and go camping. Like the good ol' days. You're a fun Mom, what lucky kids you have and what a lucky Mommy you are. Sure miss you!

Kati said...

Truly awesome on so many levels! Being with family just gets better and better over time! It's hard to believe there was once a time we were embarassed to be around our parents and we fought with the siblings we love so much now! I have to remind myself my kids will feel the same way someday. And that's the big payoff in the end right?

thebarrusfamily said...

How fun!! Is that at Warm Spring?? I want to go.

FarrEver Family said...

I am jealous...what a funny thing to be jealous of, gross and dirty for a whole week. But what an awesome time I am sure you had!

Rachael said...

I hate camping, but somehow you made that look really really fun! I am considering going sometime in my lifetime now...but I would have to go to that pretty place!

cragun family said...

So you must have gone to eden!:) Looks like such a fun time!!! I would love some good sand camping around an oasis and palm trees. How fun to have your mom and sister down too. Great times!

Jess said...

How fun! Sign me up next time. I LOVE camping... alot more than Derick. I'd love a girls weekend away!

Julie said...

Looks like fun! Yes, your mom must be the coolest grandma...you wouldn't catch either of my kid's grandma's camping (in a tent at least) OR doing a cartwheel...way to go Carly's mom!

Elizabeth said...

You are so adventurous! I need to be more like you. During our 4 1/2 years in Vegas, I never went camping at Warm Springs. We did go swimming there a number of times though, does that count?

Unknown said...

i actually miss vegas. i can't believe it! looks like you had so much fun..

LemmonWheel said...

You are seriously so cool! I love that you're such a nature-lover/hippie.

Julie said...

Carly, we tried your spinach smoothies this morning - so yummy! Jonah said he didn't want it because it grossed him out that there was spinach in it (which is funny because he LOVES spinach), but when we all were drinking it, he said he'd tried it - one sip and his eyes rolled back in his head and he said "oh, this is SO delicious!" Do you mind if I share it on my food blog? (I would of course give you the credit!)