Saturday, August 16, 2008

I NEED A HERO.....


So Ben has this serious hero complex going on....he loves for the kids to believe that there is nothing that Daddy can't do. I, on the other hand, don't mind being mortal...I figure a little disapointment is good for them. The kids of course buy into this whole heartedly, sometimes they will ask me to fix something or do something and I tell them I can't, so they just say "well daddy can." Lately they have been bypassing the middle man and just waiting until he comes home. Now let's be honest this takes a lot of work on Ben's part, I mean there is a reason I said I couldn't do it...
case in point...
Olivia's favorite Barbie doll lost her arm, we not talking fell out but a clean split. I looked at it saw plastic split from plastic and told her that even with glue the arm would probably just fall off again. I then proceeded to explain that the barbie still had just as much worth as a barbie with two arms (ie life lesson on excepting differences). All she says back is "well Daddy can do it." That is all Ben needed to hear, he got out his cape took that barbie doll to school and spent who knows how long using intricate techniques usually reserved for repairing teeth and splinted that barbie's arm back on. Hero status remains.
second case..
The kids and I are coming home from Utah while Ben has stayed home to study, when we get home and walk through the door the whole place is filled with balloons higher than the kids. They both squeal and go running through a sea of balloons. Ben is grinning, the kids are in awe..magic in the air. Again Superhero. Later Ben tells me that he blew up all three hundred balloons by mouth over the past couple days, it must have taken him hours.

So Daddy is the Hero around here, and as long as the kids keep believing Ben will keep the "magic" alive.

And mom will continue to clean the bathrooms and do the laundry...ahh the life of a mortal is so underappreciated.

Here are a few pictures of Luke visiting his hero at school...


7 comments:

FarrEver Family said...

You drove from Utah alone with three kids! You are a super Hero--if only to me! Ben is an awesome Dad...I hope the balloon story inspires John.
Miss ya!

Unknown said...

wow, i can't believe i actually miss going to that school. ben- we all aspire to your greatness! :)

Julie said...

That's so funny! My kids do the same thing - SUPER DAD...and oh yeah, mom. The funny thing is that David doesn't do any of that suff Ben does (fix toys, fill the house with balloons), he just comes home - not so fair for us moms, huh? Does Ben really have a cape? That'd be awesome if he did.

Jenny Hatch said...

Don't pass this on to Livie or Luke or B, but balloons will come and balloons will go but your pictures and stories will live on forever. Just yesterday I was talking to Serena and she said something like, "I really think Carly is a good photographer, either that or her kids are just darling." We talked about Sophie and those big blues, and she ends with "I really think she is a good photographer." You do a fantastic job of relaying the stories, and capturing your little ones in the moment via camera!

Jess said...

Carly... Although at times I find the "Super Dad" thing quite handy... you know when I simple just don't want to do something at the moment...Tell them their Dad will be able to help them when he gets home. It's great!

Wes and Jess said...

You are such a good mother and writer. it's so great to have a super hero in the home, its takes some of the burden off mom!

LemmonWheel said...

Oh- Ben sounds SO sweet! I love it- next time you're in Utah you have to tell me!