Sunday, May 18, 2008

Late night thoughts....

WHEN BOARDS ARE OVER......
This has been the phrase of choice around our house for a long time. It is basically the excuse we give when we put anything off. Now Ben has had the need to use that as an excuse but I find that my life has been put on hold for awhile now and in the back of my mind I keep thinking "oh I'll do that when Boards are over.." Now granted I have been in coping mode dealing with being the only active parent but still I have come to a realization.

This realization came to me while I was watching The Bachelor the other night,it was not the act of watching it that led to this awakening but the fact that I might have been a little emotionally invested in this complete stranger's decision. I thought to myself "is this what my life has become?"

Now anyone who is a stay at home mom knows that the concept of free time is almost laughable but even though my kids take up 95% of my day there is a small 5% that could be used in doing things that have become lost passions. I think this is the balance Elder Ballard was talking about in conference. This becomes hard when you have preschoolers because it is not like I can head off backpacking for a month I mean I can't even walk around REI in peace. This season in my life is all about small steps. So I have laced up the running shoes and signed up for my first race in quite awhile, I have started writing again and Re-entered the classics section of the Library. This last step became especially necessary after I realized that lately the closest thing my mind has come to a "literary illusion" is when something reminds me of an episode of Dragon Tales!

This post is ridiculously long and I'm sure the only person happy about it will be Ben who will be spared my ramblings in person since I have purged them on the blog.

Long story short Boards are over and I'm sorry ABC but I am taking my life back!!!

7 comments:

cragun family said...

cute post, and good for you. Sometime we just need to take time for ourselves. I think we are better moms when we get a chance to fill up our cups, so we aren't ALWAYS running on empty.

Jami said...

It's good to hear that other moms are going through the same thing!

CaseyLee said...

I like your long ramblings.....!

You write so well and it is fun to read!

keep the musings coming!

love you sister!
Casey

Kati said...

You go cousin... my excuse is always "when the boys are in school then I can..." but you're right it's all about baby steps now just so we don't forget who we were before we became moms.

Wes and Jess said...

Carly, you are a great writer, and when you write your first book, I'll illustrate it!

if you are ever in Utah again, we should do a race together!

Erica Johnston said...

Love it! You rock sister! Come live in Grants Pass and we'll run and read together!!

CrazyCarlsons said...

Good on ya Girl! If you're ever in UT I'll run with ya...I just finished my first 5k and training now for a half marathon!

I totally see what you're feeling about Olivia...with Dylan we have days...M,W,F I get to pick what she wears and how I do her hair...T,TH she picks. This works great for us and it's fun to still allow that "creative freedom" to flow!

Hugs!