And I'm pretty sure she already knows exactly who I am.
I didn't intend it to happen that way but it always does.
Have you ever tried to reinvent yourself?
I have.
When I moved to Kentucky I really wanted to be more mysterious and reserved.
I guess I just figured if people have to work a little I get to know you then maybe you become more of a prize.
I've always been easy.
I wear who am on my sleeve.
And to make matters worse when I get nervous I tend to error on the obnoxious side.
It's much nicer when nervous translates to quietness.
So I tried the whole mysteriously interesting thing.... I think I lasted 10 min.
It's my social curse.
When I feel something I want to share it.
When I like someone I want to tell them.
When a particular tree speaks to me I can't help but share every passionate feeling I've ever had in the entire world about this magnificent earth.
It overcomes me.
"We do not want merely to see beauty, we want to be united with the beauty, to pass into it, to become part of it."
C.S Lewis
I feel that so deeply in my soul that it explodes out of me.
Usually through my mouth.
It can come across a little crazy
But it's just passion.....poorly controlled.
Last week we had dinner with some new friends up at spooner summit. I was feeling it big time. The trees dwarfed us, they smelled like heaven and the forest floor was soft and inviting.
Ben is used to me. He lets me purge every sigh and cry of delight and desire to describe to him what it is we are seeing just in case he somehow went blind in the last few minutes.
It doesn't phase him.
Anyway the mountain made me giddy.
The new friends were interesting and kind.
I liked them.
I wanted them to like me.
I felt nervous.
Before I knew it I told the boob story.
Why oh why did I tell the boob story??
It was too soon.
Too late I remembered to be reserved and mysterious.
I looked at Ben, he has that Schtick down pat.
Cool and collected.
The thing I've come to realize is that it doesn't matter.
I am who I am.
Sure I can work on taking it down a notch. And believe me I am.
But at the end of the day the secret to friendship is sincereity.
People want people in their lives who are sincere.
I have dear friends of all personality types with one thing in common. They are all sincere in who they are.
They genuinely want good things for me as much as for themselves.
That is a rare gift.
True friendship lifts and has no time for judgments that serve only to push down another to gain higher ground for oneself.
A true friend understands quirks and bad days and mistakes.
A true friend looks past the creepy boob stories and sees the heart behind it.
Heaven knows I've been blessed to find such friendships wherever I have gone.
I'm particularly thankful.
I hope to be one.

6 comments:
I get what your talking about.. Laughed so hard reading this.
It's all that EXACTLY why I fell in love with who you are. You are so genuine. That's hard to find! Miss you friend!
Oh Carly, You are a joy to my soul. I am filled with love four you from head to toe. It is such a pleasure to see the would through your eyes, heart, and words. I could almost smell that Nevada forest floor you mentioned. I love you Carly Ann Syndergaard. Benjaman and I are blessed to have you ours.
I think we are twins. Seriously....how did I not know it when I used to spend hours at your house in jr. high? Honestly, while reading this it was as if it came out of my mouth. Weird! I have the exact same sentiments about the mountains...I can't control myself and can't keep from getting giddy and wanting to share it with the world. I also share my life on my sleeve....I keep wanting to be the mysterious type like my husband but haven't been able to master if or more than 10 mins either. You have achieved much more than I have in your ability to express yourself in words....beautiful. You are beautiful and I am aching to have a friend like you sitting in my living room right now and not on through a cyber-connection. Will you and your amazing sis come visit me next time you are in Utah please??? :)
I needed this post. It reminded me of what good friends should be. I miss this. Is it bad that I still tell your boob story to people. Its kind of the best story ever..
Do not ever change who you are! You are perfect! Those of us who are quiet are not that way because we are more in control, that's just the way we are. Usually I'm quiet because I'm so nervous I can't think of anything to say. I wish I had your gift of gab often. You are wonderful just the way you are. Really. Embrace that.
Post a Comment