Saturday, February 2, 2013

Winter skies........

Me and them.
We're sick of winter.
I should rephrase that.
We're sick of the end of winter.
Y'know the part where Christmas is just a memory and every time you turn around someone has a fever or is throwing up.
I hate being shut in.
I hate being thrown up on.
You can imagine how I feel about being shut in and thrown up on.

This time of year is the dark side of motherhood. December is magical, the children are darling, the excitement tangible and looking into their angelic faces your purpose on this earth is inspiring and clear.
By February those angelic faces are covered in snot and your up to your eyeballs in science fair projects and responsibility. As for purpose? Hmmm

I'm not good at this side. The in the trenches responsible side. A little gratitude would help but to them it's just life. They expect me to be there to go through their homework, help them through projects, referee their arguments, listen to their worries, make them food, comfort their fevers, be a landing place for their throw up, tell them it's ok and clean it all up.
Those shut in winter days are when a mother is really tested. When she wants to run away from them but she doesn't.
She stays.
And keeps on loving them when loving them is hard.
So while the walls close in on her she remembers that spring will come, and the fevers will end and the clouds will pass and the sun will shine again.
And somewhere she has got to be getting bonus points for this.















4 comments:

CaseyLee said...

Favorite line: " I don't like being shut in. I don't like being thrown up on. You can imagine how I feel about being shut in and being thrown up on." Bwahhhh! I hear ya on this one sister.

spudette said...

Awesome post Carly! Hang in there - spring is coming!

Anonymous said...

Marti directed me to this beautiful post. I loved it! Thanks, Carly!

Rachael said...

Oh I LOVE YOU and MISS you! I am right there with you! You put it into words so perfectly, as always. I have loved catching up on your blog and just am in love with your cute little family. Wish you were closer:(