Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Toto I Don't Think We're in Vegas Anymore......

I've gotten used to a lot of the differences that come with living on another side of the country but every once in awhile something will sneak up on me and surprise me a bit. A couple weeks ago I was sitting in the auditorium of my kids elementary school watching their musical showcase. These are always fun for about 10 min until your baby starts crawling up your face and you realize that, of course, your child just happens to always get put behind the kid with a strangely giant head. Needless to say I tend to lose interest fast, and most of the time after my kid is done singing nothing very exciting is going on..........well, that's not always true, there was that one showcase last year where I got up towards the end and tripped and landed face first into a guys lap on the bleacher below me. Yep, it was even more awkward than it sounds. He and I have an unspoken pact not to make eye contact at future school events.

But this past showcase got my attention, and made me smile. Olivia's class started singing a song that went like this
"oh won't you sit down.........Lord, I can't sit down"
"oh won't you sit down.........Lord, I can't sit down"
(repeated about 50 times)
"I just got to have another look around"
"who's that there all dressed in white? It must be the children of the Israelites"
"who's that there all dressed in black? It must be the Hippocrates a comin' back."
(then again the first line repeated another 50 times)

There was a lot of arm waving, closed eyes and clapping. I looked around thinking "this is public school right?" But sure enough the whole audience was smiling and joining in with praising the Lord.
Welcome to the Bible belt.
I have noticed this in all areas of life here....No apologies, God is good, and He is a part of daily life.
And conversation.
I have found great comfort in the ease in which God is talked about among my friends, while our individual theologies may vary there is a common thread of Christianity that runs between us. It isn't hidden or unspoken of, the desire to be and act like Jesus is a common part of life. I have been slow in the past to talk about my religion and how it affects my everyday. I kind of saved that for Sunday, or with other members that I thought would understand. But mine is not a Sunday religion, and true religion never is. Nor is my religion the only one that understands that being a disciple of Jesus Christ is not something you hide. I have been blessed to witness the example of those around me that live each day trying to be good and moral and are unashamed of the reason for why they do it. I have been blessed to call them friends and even more blessed that they have never questioned my claim, as a Mormon, on being a true Christian. I see their love for Him, they see my love for Him.....In turn we try our best to love each other as He would.

Christianity is not a club where men decide the rules and who gets in. Christianity is a change of heart, a turning over of our lives to Him who gave all for us. It is a desire to serve Him, everyday. It is a recognition of the true Authority on His gospel.

On a lighter note........here are a few pictures I took this past week of the beauty that surrounds me on my drive home. Hmmmm, God is good.



And on a lighter, lighter note.....rapunzel lives down the road from me.

5 comments:

Redd family said...

I totally get your jumpy horse unsettled feeling. My mom comes in a week and as excited as I am to have her come, I already feel the twinge of homesickness of her leaving. It's good to know someone else feels the same way, unsure if they can do 'it' anymore. Hang in there. Your world looks beautiful there and I also love the love of god from people who aren't (gasp) Mormon!

TyandMar said...

Amen to that. My little sister is such an example to me of someone who makes Him a part of her everyday world and not just on Sunday. I love her open heart!

Momma Stef said...

Yes even though many would like to toss Him out of the equation... I think most Americans still believe "In God we trust"...I loved meeting those good people you call friends in Kentucky. You are a great friend too!

andrewcolton said...

Best. Post. Yet.

Megan said...

What a beautiful post Carly. So glad you get to call Kentucky home for a bit and glad the Lord placed you in our lives, even if it's only for a season. Prayers that your time here is a blessing for your family for years to come.