Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Girl........

Today we attended stake conference, and for anyone who has ever attended that meeting with four small children alone you can appreciate that just attending is an act of faith. I have no idea what was actually said. I'm sure it was good.

I did have a moment about half way through the meeting where I looked over and caught a glimpse of my Olivia sitting reverently, listening to the speaker, with her little arms folded. It made me catch my breath. Just the way she sat there....mature, quiet and thoughtful. I just stared at her. I've been begging her to do it for years, and suddenly she does. And it hurts a little, not as much as the other 3 kicking me, but just a little. And it makes me smile, because I see who she is(y'know, big picture, she just gets "it") and I can sense what is inside of her.....and it's big.
Spirited children change the world.
I have to remind myself of that often.

Tonight we sat in the living room and played guitar together for a long time. It's one of our favorite things to do. She is better at memorizing the music. I am better at keeping the beat. It just works. So much of my time is spent mothering her, I'm so grateful for the time I get to spend just being with her. Because I like her so much. I like that she doesn't laugh when my voice cracks in the middle of a song. I like that she doesn't think it's weird that when no one is looking I pretend I'm Taylor Swift. I like that she can talk to me with just the expression on her face and know exactly what I said back by the expression on mine. I like that annoyed half smile she gives me when I correct her.

The girl's got a backbone, she knows who she is, she came with an agenda and most of the time she's not the least bit teachable. But she delights me.
Every single day.


8 comments:

Redd family said...

Chills. Seriously. She's beyond beautiful too. I love hearing other success stories with spirited children. Can't wait to see all she will be!

Mike and Chiye said...

Ahhh, Olivia! We sure miss her. What a great girl she is!

Ben & Carly said...

Sarah it makes me sincerely happy to know you understand what I'm going through, you make me smile.

Chiye...right back at you. we miss you guys too and Olivia keeps asking when Naomi is moving to Kentucky.

TyandMar said...

So cute, Carly. So cute.

trent said...

she is beautiful! She takes after her mom. I love that you have jam sessions together. When are you making your first cd?

cragun family said...

sorry i was logged in under trent. I thought I would correct it, so you weren't creeped out, and not know who was calling your daughter beautiful! lol.
Amy

Ben & Carly said...

Ha ha that made me laugh....it really did freak me out for a min. but knowing its from you just makes it sweet! thanks

Ben & Carly said...

And Maryann you're cute.